Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Favorite classics

I'm in a classical mood today, so I scrounged my mp3s and found all of my truly and legitimately classical mp3s and was quite disappointed to find I didn't don't have more, more to the point that I'm missing some of my favorites:

  1. Franz Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (I've heard it performed by a full orchestra and just a piano, I actuall prefer the piano only version)
  2. Johann Strauss - Tales From the Vienna Woods
  3. Georges Bizet - Overture to Carmen
  4. Johann Strauss - The Blue Danube Waltz
  5. Johann Sebastian Bach - Little Fugue in G (for organ)
Honorable mentions: Ravel - Bolero, Franz Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsodies 1,3-5 & Leibestraum No. 3, Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata & Fur Elise, and this last one may be considered cheating by some of you as it is a "modern" classical piece by Steve Hackett (ex-Genesis) -- That Vast Life (from his Metamorpheus classical guitar CD).

So what are some of your favorite classics?

Current Music: Ravel - Bolero

3 comments:

ink said...

Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli (The story goes the pope was considering banning music in church until he heard this mass ...)

J. S. Bach - Fugues (J.S. was the all-time master of this elegant, complex form of "round" - think "Row, row, row your boat" but with a multitude of interweaving musical themes - played forwards, backwards, upside down, off-set, etc. Simply stunning ....)

J.S. Bach - Suites for Solo Cello (I listen to these pieces whenever I need to feel there is something truly beautiful in the universe.)

Franz(?) Biebl - "Ave Maria" [perfomed by Chanticleer, on the album "Our Heart's Joy"] (I actually pulled the car over to listen to this music the first time I heard it on the radio. This choral piece brings tears to my eyes every time, it's so lovely.)

Bizet - Duet from "The Pearl Fishers" (Ok. It's a bit of a gimme, but the music's still gorgeous)

George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue (It IS New York. Simple as that.)

Anonymous said...

Your a man of many tastes. All of them good.

:P fuzzbox said...

I am a Classical Thunder kind of a guy myself.