Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Life

So, I've been a bit AWOL lately. Life kind of got in the way-- last Friday I was in a bit of a fender bender... well I tapped a Jeep Wrangler when my Toyota Corolla slid into the back of it. My Toyota didn't fare so well. It crumpled like paper and that was all she wrote, boss.

Luckily, I was unscathed as was the other driver.

Given such a shitty Friday night my weekend could (and did) only get better from there. Saturday morning my friend, Sarah, from Vermont flew in. She'd never been to Chicago before so Toni & I promptly took her to see the city. We started out by going to the observation deck of the Hancock building where we drank in the view from all angles before exploring Michigan Ave. and Millennium Park. Toni got some great pics of "the bean" which I'll be sure to share once I find the USB cable that goes to my digital camera (d'oh!). Sarah absolutely loved the city! We then proceded to a liquor store in the 'burbs to do some last minute stocking up for the party. We got this kick ass gin-- Henderson's or Hendrick's or something like that. It recommends drinking it with a slice of cucumber instead of lime. It was a HUGE hit at the party. Sarah is apparently cut from the same mold as Toni & I as we all are gin drinkers who prefer Beefeater and Bombay over Tanqueray.

Sunday we showed Sarah a bit of downtown Naperville and went out for brunch before returning to the pad to introduce Sarah to the joys of the British sitcom, Coupling. Even I'd forgotten how much I love that show. And even though I'd seen the episodes we watched together countless times before I still found myself laughing just as hard-- gut clutching, doubled-over, squinting through tears of laughter!

And even though Sarah & Toni had only ever met in person once before they were thick as thieves.... and she and I, well we picked up right where we'd left off. We reminisced about high school teachers, classmates, old haunts and stomping grounds... considering that I'm not really in touch with too many other friends from back in Malone, reminiscing isn't something I don't get to do that often. Our friends welcomed Sarah into the fold as if they'd known her for years. It was just so heartwarming to celebrate 30 years with such a loving, caring, and close-knit group of friends.

Current Music: Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears

5 comments:

Bar L. said...

well as you know already - I am thankful you were not hurt!

You're lucky to have Toni as a wife, some women would actually be jealous of an old friend even if there was no reason for it.

Glad you had a good B-day. You sure are OLD!

Anonymous said...

I had a deer bounce off my right fender on Sunday night, so I can empathize with you. Glad you're ok...
Happy belated birthday, btw....

And my b-day ended quite well, thank you very much, when the Cardinals won Friday night. :)

Jay said...

It's really great to reconnect with old friends like that.

Sorry to hear about your accident, though. Damn jeeps. I think they attract trouble.

Godwhacker said...

Cars can be replaced. Perplexios can not. I'm glad your ok.

Bearette said...

sounds fun! it's good to stay in touch with old friends.