Monday, December 05, 2011

We're two of a kind....


If I cried out loud of the sorrow I've known
And the secrets I've heard
It would me ease my mind
Someone sharing the load
But I won't breathe a word


We're two of a kind
Silence and I
We need a chance to talk things over
Two of a kind
Silence and I
We'll find a way to work it out


While the children laughed
I was always afraid
Of the smile of the clown
So I close my eyes
Till I can't see the light
And I hide from the sound 
We're two of a kind
Silence and I
We need a chance to talk things over
Two of a kind
Silence and I
We'll find a way to work it out 
I can hear the cry
Of the leaf on a tree
As it falls to the ground
I can hear the call
Of an echoing voice
And there's no one around 
We're two of a kind
Silence and I
We need a chance to talk things over
Two of a kind
Silence and I
We'll find a way to work it out
For some reason this song really speaks to me lately.  I've been on a big Alan Parsons Project kick lately.  This is one of their most hauntingly beautiful songs sung by the late Eric Woolfson (the same guy who sang Time and Eye In the Sky).  Listening to APP and Pink Floyd you can really hear how PF influenced Alan Parsons (or was it the other way around as Parsons was the engineer for Dark Side of the Moon).  Take this live version of Time for example, it sounds like it could just easily be a Pink Floyd song:




And now check out Pink Floyd's Us & Them:



The similarities are more than a little bit uncanny, aren't they?

3 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

I have about a dozen APP albums, most of which I don't listen to too often. Most are the listen to a couple of times and then shelf it. They only ones that really find way though my speakers are Turn of the Friendly Card and I Robot. Nothing against APP, great music there. I just prefer the more lush and vibrant sounds of Pink Floyd.

TAD said...

Plex: I've got 4 or 5 Parsons albums, + the ULTIMATE best-of CD. But my favorite is THE INSTRUMENTAL WORKS. It's gorgeous.
The real shocker is, I didn't know Eric Woolfson had died. That sucks. Quite a voice. Knew he & Parsons didn't get along at times -- check their song "You Don't Believe" for more evidence.
Course Parsons hadda great band 2 draw on -- the guys from Pilot (Ian Bairnson - gtr, David Paton - bass, Stuart Elliot - drums), & lotsa great singers -- John Miles, Allan Clarke, Colin Blunstone, etc.
Parsons' "sound" is all over the place -- you can hear echoes of it on Kate Bush's album THE KICK INSIDE, & a couple of later Camel albums could be APP -- especially the GREAT 2nd side of Camel's SINGLE FACTOR....

Jay Noel said...

Huh. That's really uncanny.

Amazing.

I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year, old friend.

Jay Noel (The Phoenix)