Thursday, April 10, 2008

A trip down memory lane

A chilly February night back in 1999, I remember walking west on Belmont in Chicago. I wasn't wearing socks so every time a chunk of snow or ice ended up hitting my ankle it would slide into my sneaker and chill me even further to the bone. But my friend, Mike, & I were on a mission... A mission of wine (beer actually), women (well maybe not women), and song (a ska band called Deals Gone Bad).

So we ventured west from the Belmont El stop to a little German Irish pub called Gunther Murphy's where we imbibed on Guinness and chilled out to some killer ska music. At some point in the evening Mike remarked that it was the first time he'd ever had Guinness. I asked him what he thought of it-- "It reminds me of a milkshake."

And an idea was born! The Beer Float!

A few weeks later that dream came to fruition-- with the purchase of a 4 pack of Guinness pint cans and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream the Guinness Float was born. And surprisingly, it wasn't half bad... that being said the mere idea of attempting it with anything other than a heavy creamy European style beer is quite repulsive. Vanilla ice cream and Budwesiser are not a culinary adventure my mouth will ever willingly choose to endeavor, but Guinness with it's rich malty consistency was the perfect choice for this fine pursuit of the palate.

So my fine readers, what have been some of your more adventurous and/or unusual culinary experiments? Please do share!

3 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

Peanut butter, ham, and tuna fish sandwich. Crazee Tastee after a good buzz back in the olden daze.

Snooze said...

You know, the Guiness beer float actually doesn't sound too bad.

tworabbitshow said...

I have done the beer float before! I used Steamwhistle and chai ice cream. It was odd, but good. It improved the Steamwhistle, anyway.