Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sleepless

Step back, step, turn... and so the dance continues...
Rolling on the steel wheels pound
Racing through the night
On a night train, I can't sleep
I'm fixed to a distant light
And I'm thinking of you
The one constant about these business trips I take is a reversion to my old ways. As I did when I was single, I find myself staying awake to the point of exhaustion before going to bed. I believe it has something to do with sleeping alone. There's something comforting about having that special someone lying next to you-- the warmth of another body, their touch...
4 am the streets are sizzlin'
Night buses crawl, Vampires mingling
Floors away from my hotel window
I'm looking on, but I only see you
The thing is, this only gets more difficult, the longer I'm married...
It's been a long day and I'm sleepless in bed
Roy Orbison's 'Cryin' circlin' my head
From a corner of my twelve dollar room
The old radio whispering, but I only hear you
As I feel my eyelids getting heavier, my bed is beckoning from the other side of the room. I'm finally reaching that point of exhaustion where sleep will be the inevitable destination that I've been trying so hard to escape.
Through our laughter and through our pain
You will save me time, and again
How I need you to understand
I won't sleep peacefully, till you're next to me.
And on that note, I bid you all goodnight

*for those who are curious the song lyrics are from Sleepless by Alex Lumelsky a Detroit area musician who used to frequent my alma mater's student run coffee house, from his 1994 CD Wake Up Dreaming

2 comments:

Susan as Herself said...

I actually don't mind sleeping alone. But I did used to stay up late until exhausted... not sure why that was. Maybe it was the fear of missing something. That's a big thing with me.

dantallion said...

Whenever I was away from my ex on business, I experienced something similar. Combine that with the fact that I don't sleep well anywhere other than my own bed, and business trips become pretty trying.