Monday, April 30, 2007

Butchering Metaphors

Anyone whose seen the Back to the Future movies multiple times can probably recall Biff's (Thomas F. Wilson) predilection for not just mixing but completely butchering metaphors. So I've been thinking a bit about this... is it possible to butcher them even further... and the answer is absolutely!

For example:
"I'm going to make like a tree and take a long walk through the screen door on a submarine."

"That makes about as much sense as an attic in a helicopter."

"He's knitting with only one needle in the water"

"He's not rowing with a full deck"

A personal favorite of mine was in the movie Can't Hardly Wait when the drunk geek is trying to console the equally drunk jock who is his sworn enemy:

"You know what they say about women and trolley cars? There's plenty of them in the sea."

C'mon use your imagination, get creative-- butcher a few metaphors of your own. Hit me with your worst!

6 comments:

Snooze said...

My ex never got sayings right. It was very endearing. My favourite of his was "let laying lambs lie".

Susan as Herself said...

This was one my college boyfriend's father (an Italian immigrant) would say:

"I was so tired I was out like a lamp."

It still makes me laugh even now.

David Amulet said...

This post is your best since the cat's meow during the Mars landing.

-- david

Bar L. said...

LOL!!! Funny post and comments!

dantallion said...

My ex-roomate used to say: "Walking on tiny icecubes" (in lieu of eggshells)

awareness said...

My father always says about someone who swears all the time...

"He's got a mouth on him like a ripped boot."

Have no idea where or what it means, but I get it :)